Entertainment:How Depression Pushed Me Into Comedy - Comedienne, Real Warri Pikin

How Depression Pushed Me Into Comedy - Comedienne, Real Warri Pikin

Background
I am from Delta State. My father is Ijaw from the Burutu Local Government Area of the state, while my mother is Urhobo. I am the third of six children. We were born and brought up in Warri.

Education

I have a Bachelor in Political Science/Public Administration from the Benson Idahosa University. I graduated second class upper degree in 2012.
Comedy
I discovered my comedy talent through depression. When I was in school, I used to dance professionally, host events, and do stand-up comedy. However, I didn’t really take it seriously. Last year, I fell into depression. I didn’t have money, and a lot of things went wrong. I just said to myself, “why not start making videos to motivate and inspire people in a funny way”? And here I am today.
Acceptance
It happened so quickly. People just accepted it and I began to work on it. The acceptance has been mind blowing. I am still in shock. I realised that people like originality. People like originality, and that is what I am bringing to the table. The acceptance has been good– 100 per cent.
Challenges
One of the challenges I encountered was that people told me to leave social media because I am a woman. “Go and take care of your children, this is not what you are supposed to do.” You know how the society keeps women in a box. That was one of the challenges I encountered when I started.
Female comedians
Female comedians are underestimated because it is believed that it is a man’s world. Due to this, a lot of female comedians are in their shell. They believe they cannot do it better, saying to themselves, “It’s a man’s world.” It is indeed a male-dominated industry. I feel female comedians should be given a chance because it’s really not just a man’s world. Anybody can be funny, regardless of gender.
Privacy
What I miss most is my privacy. Now, I am a public figure and I don’t have privacy anywhere I go. Last week, I went to the hospital because I was sick. I just wanted to do a test and get medication. But people were all over taking pictures . I don’t have my space anymore, and that is what I miss.
Real Warri Pikin
The inspiration behind the name, Real Warri Pikin, is that my brand of comedy is all about Warri. I am from Warri and I am promoting Warri, so my name has to reflect that. Warri inspired my name.

Comments